Week of January 23-27

Despite the last two storm days, our science fair work is coming along nicely, as students have now formed their hypothesizes and begun to develop their experiments. The next few weeks are when students will conduct their experiments and take note of their results. They are also reminded that now is a great time to purchase their backboard, as I’ve heard that supply is low in many places. If you are having trouble securing a backboard, please let me know as soon as possible and I will do my best to help.

Now here is a snapshot into the learning that will happen over this week…

French- Moving through our unit on travel in #LaClasse, students will take another step towards their final project of a travel journal as this week we discuss vocabulary related to lodging and write some retells of some misadventures we may have had on our travels.
I continue to read “Mamie Gangster” a few times a week, and students are engaging in discussions about this interesting grandmother and all her adventures to steal the crown jewels with her grandson Ben.

Science-This week students will create an informational poster on a method of contraception. Once this is complete, we will begin to discuss the final section of our unit on living things: sexual transmitted infections.

Grade 9 Science-On Day 4 (now Wednesday) students will write their assessment on Chapter 7. With that behind us, we will then begin to look into our last section of our “univers matériel” before we head into our biology section. This last chapter will focus on both pressure and waves.

Grade 7 Science-Our look into ecosystems will end this week or early next week as we finish up chapter 3 with a deeper discussion into adaptations and how different species use them to survive. This section will include some interactive activities where students will be given different “adaptations” to demonstrate their importance.

Grade 9 English Science-Our final few sections on the periodic table and the families and groups that make it up will take place over the next few days. Students will colour their own periodic table, representing these families and then discuss how atoms gain or lose electrons to forms ions and combine.

Have a wonderful week!

Mme MacNevin