Week of May 5th- May 9th

First of all I’d like to remind parents of the Provincial French Immersion Literacy Assessment that your son/daughter will be writing starting this week (May 6-7, May 13-14). Two letters have now gone home with information regarding this assessment, but if you have any questions or would like more information on this project, please don’t hesitate to contact me 🙂

Students will write the assessment in our classroom during each of the four mornings listed above. They will start with the reading portion of the assessment and will finish with the writing portion after recess. We have had lots of great class discussions surrounding this assessment and have gone through some sample questions together. All I expect from my students is that they try their very best 🙂 There is no need for any extra stress or worry and no extra preparation is needed at home in relation to this evaluation with the expectation of maybe a good night’s sleep the night before and a healthy breakfast the morning of 🙂

Here is a look at what else is happening inside our classroom this week:

Grade 5

French- This week for our dictée we will finish up l’imparfait. After Monday, there will not be any formal homework on this verb tense, but students are reminded that it may be a good idea to review their verbs each evening in preparation for our next dictée on Day 6.

On the days that we are not writing the provincial assessment during the next two weeks, we will continue to work through our literacy centers, finish up our memoirs, and continue to examine the persuasive text form, including how to write a persuasive letter.

This week in math, we will continue to represent numbers up to 1 000 000 in expanded notation, using base ten blocks, in words, and in symbolic form. Last week we had our 3rd “flashback” quiz. I am very pleased with all the hard work my students have been putting into their math this year. Bravo! As with the previous quizzes, I will be sending home some individual worksheets later this week for children to continue to work on those problems causing them trouble. I’d ask that they complete just a few of these problems each night, in addition to our continued work on those concepts together in class.

Grade 7 and 8 Science

This week we will be finishing up the last outcomes of our unit on heat. We will be putting our knowledge to the test, using the concepts previously studied on how heat is transferred through objects and conductors and insulators, as we attempt to create a “home” that will keep an ice cube safe from melting under the rays of a light bulb 🙂

Have a marvelous week!

Madame April Walker